Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Writing in Science

 

      I just got back from a wonderful trip to the Northern Neck of Virginia where I was able to read, rest and relax as well as watch my two crazy boys jump off the dock and kayak for hours!  Peek into my paradise....


    While I was there I was able to view a lot of wildlife that lives near the Chesapeake Bay...Eagles, Ospreys, crabs, fish, stingrays, and our first river otter.  Today on a boat ride we watched a family of 9 ducks swim in front of us...I just love getting back to nature!

      I also spent some time reading a new and wonderful book called "Writing in Science...In Action" by Betsy Rupp Fulwiler.  It was just released on Amazon this week and is published through Heinemann.  Man...is it good!  Not only does the book have a ton of good strategies, but it comes with a DVD that shows exemplary science teachers in action.  I truly recommend that anyone who loves the idea of writing in science RUN to your computer and order it.  No, I am not getting any kickback from promoting it...it is just THAT GOOD.

     One of the things I love about the book is that it suggests teaching science using science notebooks (just like I do!), but then she teaches you how to extend the writing portion in your writing block.  She uses a ton of modeling and writing frames which actually teach our students how to think and write better explanations. 

    I am hoping to get back to my room one last time to set up my science spot and take pictures to post.  I have loved viewing other's suggestions online and I know you all do to!  But I also look forward to enjoying my last five summer days off....

That's all for now...gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment