Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Science Activity for Halloween

When I was at the conference, I learned a new activity from the Seeds of Science Website.  It involves using the book Handbook of Interesting Ingredients to introduce that even candy has some interesting ingredients for flavoring! 

There are several activities on the link below for using candy for science. 


M&M chromatography
Did you know you can separate the dyes used to color candy? All you need is a glass of water, a piece of candy, and some coffee filter paper. To find out more, click here.

Floating M's and S's
Some candy logos float in water. To find out how to float M's and S's, click here.

Acid Test
The sour taste in candy is caused by acid. Here's how you can use baking soda to test your candy for acid.

I am planning on doing the Acid Test tomorrow.  I am using a large bag of Wonka Candy (we just finished the read aloud of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.)  That bag has sweet tarts, laffy taffy,  nerds and bottle caps.  My son and I tested them at home and found that they all produced bubbles but some produced more than others. 

To do this test, you need clear cups, wonka candy, water and baking soda.  You will put the candy in the water and then add a tsp of baking soda.  If there is citric acid in the candy, it will bubble.  Fun huh?

I will link up some pictures tomorrow to show how we graphed it and any anchor charts that we used.

For more information go to
http://seedsroots.schoolspecialty.com/post/Halloween-Candy-Experiments!.aspx

I recommend you "like" them on facebook because they are always sharing cool things there!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like candy experiments. I don't think I've ever tested bottlecaps; I'll have to try. And that Handbook of Interesting Ingredients looks really cool, I've got to get that book!

    ReplyDelete