Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Mystery Scarecrow..

From time to time, I just wanna have fun! Today was one of those days.  Last year I bought this Halloween scarecrow from a science catalog on clearance and actually held on to it until now.... I knew it would grow crystals, but wasn't sure if my students would.

So I brought it out at 9;30 during morning meeting and asked the kids what they thought would happen if I poured the mystery liquid into the basin of the scarecrow.  I got responses like:  it will explode (remember the mentos?), it will change colors, it will fly off, it will cause a chemical reaction of some sort...

I put the liquid in, and we made a time line during the day.  This is what it looked like:

Nothing glamorous or huge, just a simple time line where we recorded our observations.  After lunch, I decided to name the "fuzzy things" that were growing so the kids were know they were crystals. 

It was a fun, engaging activity that we made notes on during transition times.  The end result?




Happy Halloween....

3 comments:

  1. I love it! i am going to have to look for a scarecrow kit for next year! I love how you did a simple timeline observation. Sometimes we don't need anything fancy to have great learning!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell us the name of the catalog or the exact name of the product so we could look for one elsewhere! I love it!
    Heidi Butkus
    www.heidisongs.com
    http://heidisongs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete