Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Science-Centered Language Development

Have I told you how much I love the FOSS 3rd  edition revisions? Oh my goodness...the more I explore, the more I love it.     I have been invited to attend a special session for FOSS consultants at the Hartford, CN NSTA regional conference in October.  I will get more extensive training which I can not wait to share with you! 

 Today I want to talk to you about a brand new component - Science-Centered Language Development.  To download the whole folio please go to my documents section and download it for FREE!!  You can also find it and more on the new and improved website:  www.fossweb.com.

The new folio is divided into sections:
  • The role of language in scientific practices
  • speaking and listening domain
  • writing domain
  • reading domain
  • science-vocabulary deelopment
  • english language support
Let's talk about the importance of language in science...if you don't know the correct terms to describe what you are doing, you are significantly impaired.  You may actually understand the process and the concept but will not accurately be able to express your understanding...in writing, conversations and dare I say...on state mandated tests????

The Role of Language:

The Framework for Science Education (National Research Council 2010) laid out these seven key practices and language functions essential for best practices in science education:
  1. Asking questions
  2. Collecting, analyzing and interpreting data
  3. Constructing explanations and critiquing arguments
  4. Modeling
  5. Making predictions (devising testable hypotheses)
  6. Communicating and interpreting science
  7. Applying and using scientific knowledge
Wow...sounds kind of like the process we are using in our science notebooks, doesn't it????  Here's another tidbit to keep in your head:

 "Research supports the claim that when students are intentionally using language functions in thinking about and communicating in science, they not only imrpove science content knowledge but also language-arts and mathematics skills."

This week I will highlight one of the domains listed above and try to make it come alive in our classrooms. 

I hope it will help you grow as a professional this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment