Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Creating Concept Maps to Review for an end of unit test

We just finished our weather unit....we learned a lot about fronts, clouds, weather data, etc...It was time to test.  I don't know about you...but, how many jeopardy games can you play to review? Also...are you reviewing at a higher level or just basic recall?

I had learned this concept from FOSS last year and was looking for the perfect opportunity to use it in the classroom.

Building Concept Maps:  

First we got into our science groups.  I gave each group a pack of sticky notes and a piece of large chart paper.

Next, I asked them to brainstorm as many weather words as they could think of - they were allowed to use their notebooks and study guide as a resource (part of my thinking was to get them used to using resources to study).






After 5 minutes...I stopped and modeled how to create a concept map.  As you can see on the side, I took my sticky notes and put them on the chart while drawing arrows and connecting the words together. We talked about what words were similar or different.  We talked about cause and effect.  We even talked about compare and contrast!  This was turning out to be much higher level thinking during the review process!


Here are a few of the finished products.  We hung them in the hall for a week (until the sticky notes lost their stickiness and fell to the ground!)
 
 


 


Comment:

1 comment: